Less of an adaptation and more of an interpretation, this film contains a lively script, gorgeous cinematography and talented cast.
Summary: In Georgian England, Mrs. Bennet raises her five daughters - Jane, Elizabeth, Mary, Kitty and Lydia with the purpose of getting married with a rich husband that can support the family. They are not from the upper class, and their house in Hertfordshire will be inherited by a distant cousin if Mr. Bennet dies. When the wealthy bachelor Mr. Bingley and his best friend Mr. Darcy arrive in town to spend the summer in a mansion nearby their property, the shy and beautiful Jane falls in love for Mr. Bingley, and Lizzie finds Mr. Darcy a snobbish and proud man, and she swears to loathe him forever. This is the beginning of their wonderful love story.
Script: Deborah Moggach
Directed by: Joe Wright
Length: Approximately 127 minutes
Release Date: 23 November 2005
Hair & Make Up Designers: Fae Hammond
Costume Designer: Jacqueline Durran
Soundtrack Composer: Dario Marianelli
Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennet
Matthew Macfadyen as Mr. Darcy
Donald Sutherland as Mr. Bennet
Brenda Blethyn as Mrs. Bennet
Rosamund Pike as Jane Bennet
Talulah Riley as Mary Bennet
Carey Mulligan as Kitty Bennet
Jena Malone as Lydia Bennet
Simon Woods as Mr. Bingley
Kelly Reilly as Caroline Bingley
Tamzin Merchant as Georgiana Darcy
Claudie Blakley as Charlotte Lucas
Sylvester Morand as Sir William Lucas
Rupert Friend as Mr. Wickham
Tom Hollander as Mr. Collins
Judi Dench as Lady Catherine de Bourg
Rosamund Stephen as Miss Anne de Bourg
Cornelius Booth as Colonel Fitzwilliam
Penelope Wilton as Mrs. Gardiner
Peter Wight as Mr. Gardiner
- Mrs. Bennet: Oh, my goodness. Everybody behave naturally.
- Mrs. Bennet: Have you no consideration for my poor nerves?
Mr. Bennet: You mistake me, my dear. I have the utmost respect for your nerves. They've been my constant companion these twenty years.
- Caroline Bingley: I can't help thinking that at some point someone is going to produce a piglet and we'll all have to chase it.
- Jane Bennet: He is just what a young man ought to be.
- Netherfield Butler: A Mrs. Bennet, a Miss Bennet, a Miss Bennet and a Miss Bennet, sir.
Caroline Bingley: Oh for heaven's sake, are we to receive every Bennet in the country?
- Mr. Bennet: Well, if Jane does die, it will be a comfort to know she was in pursuit of Mr. Bingley.
Mrs. Bennet: People do not *die* of colds.
Elizabeth Bennet: Though she may well perish with the shame of having such a mother.
- Charlotte Lucas: Not all of us can afford to be romantic, Lizzie.
- Charlotte Lucas: What on earth have you done to poor Mr. Darcy?
Elizabeth Bennet: I have no idea.
- Jane Bennet: Oh, Lizzie, if I could but see you happy. If there were such another man for you.
Elizabeth Bennet: Perhaps Mr. Collins has a cousin.
Links of Interest:
- IMDb's P&P Page
- Film Trivia
- Film Goofs
- KeiraWeb Promo Page
- Working Title Official Site
- Yahoo Film's official UK Page
- Jennifer's P&P Screencaps
- The Pride & Prejudice (2005) Blog
- Read Review at Ribbons of Light
- Read Review at Regency Delight ~Jane Austen, etc.~
Visit our Pride & Prejudice (2005) Photo Gallery!
Buy official soundtrack from Amazon.com
Trailers & Clips:
Pride And Prejudice Trailer HD
My Music Video:
Pride & Prejudice 2005 Themes