This six part miniseries is not only delightful viewing but a closely adapted version of Jane Austen's most popular novel.
Summary: In this lavish adaptation of Jane Austen's classical romance, Elizabeth Bennett is a strong-willed yet sensible young woman whose father is a gentleman with a quite modest estate and whose uncle suffers in status from being a businessman in Cheapside. She has four sisters, a long-suffering but loving father, and a mother anxious to marry them to wealthy young gentlemen. At a local ball, she encounters one such wealthy young man, Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy -- and as Mr. Darcy is arrogant, cold and rude, it is hatred at first sight. As her older sister Jane falls in love with Mr. Darcy's best friend Mr. Bingley, and her youngest sister Lydia flirts with anyone in a military uniform, Lizzie finds herself fighting off the attentions of the unctuous Mr. Collins and quite taken by the charming Mr. Wickham - who also happens to be an enemy of Mr. Darcy. However, as the characters succumb in many ways to pride and prejudice, Lizzie learns that not all is quite as it seems...and that Mr. Darcy might not be so disagreeable after all.
Script: Andrew Davies
Directed by: Simon Langton
Produced by: Sue Birtwistle
Length: Approximately 300 minutes
Release Date: 24 September 1995
Hair & Make Up Designers: Caroline Noble
Costume Designers: Dinah Collin
Soundtrack Composer: Carl Davis
Jennifer Ehle as Elizabeth Bennet
Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy
Susannah Harker as Jane Bennet
Lucy Briers as Mary Bennet
Polly Maberly as Kitty Bennet
Julia Sawalha as Lydia Bennet
Alison Steadman as Mrs. Bennet
Benjamin Whitrow as Mr. Bennet
Crispin Bonham-Carter as Mr. Bingley
Anna Chancellor as Miss Bingley
Emilia Fox as Georgiana Darcy
Lucy Robinson as Mrs. Hurst
Rupert Vansittart as Mr. Hurst
Adrian Lukis as Wickham
David Bamber as Mr. Collins
Lucy Scott as Charlotte Lucas
Lucy Davis as Maria Lucas
Christopher Benjamin as Sir William Lucas
Norma Streader as Lady Lucas
Barbara Leigh-Hunt as Lady Catherine de Bourgh
Nadia Chambers as Miss Anne de Bourgh
Anthony Calf as Col. Fitzwilliam
Harriet Eastcott as Mrs. Jenkinson
Tim Wylton as Mr. Gardiner
Joanna David as Mrs. Gardiner
Lynn Farleigh as Mrs. Phillips
Paul Moriarty as Col. Forster
Victoria Hamilton as Mrs. Forster
David Bark-Jones as Lt. Denny
Roger Barclay as Capt. Carter
Mrs. Reynolds (Darcy's Housekeeper)
- Mr. Bingley: I wouldn't be as fastidious as you are for a kingdom.
- Mr. Bennet: An unhappy alternative lies before you, Elizabeth. Your mother will never see you again if you do *not* marry Mr Collins, and *I* will never see you again if you *do*.
- Mr. Darcy: She is tolerable, I suppose, but not handsome enough to tempt me.
- Lady Catherine de Bourgh: I am most seriously displeased.
- Elizabeth Bennet: I am determined that nothing but the deepest love could ever induce me into matrimony.
- Mr. Darcy: I shall conquer this, I shall.
- Mrs. Bennet: You have no compassion for my poor nerves.
- Mr. Darcy: In vain have I struggled, it will not do. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.
- Mr. Bingley: Darcy, I shall never understand why you go through the world determined to be displeased with everything and everyone in it.
Mr. Darcy: And I will never understand why you are always in a rage to approve of everything and everyone that you meet.
- Mrs. Gardiner: I believe one would be willing to put up with a great deal to be mistress of Pemberley.
- Elizabeth Bennet: The more I see of the world, the less inclined I am to think well of it.
Links of Intrest:
- IMDb's P&P Page
- P&P Film Trivia
- P&P Film Goofs
- Masterpiece Theatre's Official P&P Page
- Pride & Prejudice Paradise
- Dances from P&P
- BBC's Behind the Scenes Page
- Susan's Wallpapers
- Read review at Elegance of Fashion
- Buy DVD from Amazon.com
- Buy Restored Edition of DVD at Amazon.com
- Buy The Making of Pride and Prejudice (BBC)
- Facebook Page
Visit our Pride & Prejudice (1995) Photo Gallery!
Buy the official soundtrack at Amazon.com
Trailers & Clips:
Netherfield Park Clip